Relocating to Ottawa
Whether relocating from within Canada or abroad,Â the following links may be useful in making your transition to Ottawa easier.
Getting to Ottawa
Short Term Accommodation
Near the Civic Campus of The Ottawa Hospital (includes Ottawa University Heart Institute)
- Best Western Macies – 1274 Carling Avenue, Ottawa. Just down the street from the Civic Campus. Call 613-728-1951 within the Ottawa area or dial the toll-free number 1-800-268-5531.
- The Intern Residence – Located at the Civic Campus of The Ottawa Hospital. A shuttle service is available to the General and Riverside campuses.
Near the General and Riverside Campuses of the Ottawa Hospital (includes Rehab Centre)
- Hampton Inn -Â 100 Coventry Road, Ottawa, 613-741-2300. 8 Minute cab ride to the General Campus.
- Rotel – Located adjacent to the General Campus. Call 613-733-1412 within the Ottawa area or dial the toll-free number 1-800-267-4700.
Cost of Living
Ottawa has four major school boards and a large number of private schools:
- Ottawa-Carleton District School Board (English public board) – The Ottawa-Carleton District School Board (OCDSB) is the largest school board in Eastern Ontario serving students within a 2,760 square kilometre area known as the city of Ottawa. We are the seventh largest District by school population in the province of Ontario.
- Ottawa-Carleton Catholic School Board (English catholic board) – For over a century, parents have entrusted their children to local Catholic schools, confident that they would be receiving a distinctive education with a special emphasis on spiritual growth.
- CĂ‰P de l’Est de l’Ontario (French public board) – Le Conseil des Ă©coles publiques de l’Est de l’Ontario (CEPEO) offre Ă votre enfant un milieu d’apprentissage sain et sĂ©curitaire. Nous sommes conscients qu’un enfant qui se sent en sĂ©curitĂ© apprend mieux et dĂ©veloppe ses habiletĂ©s personnelles et sociales de faĂ§on harmonieuse et naturelle.
- CSDC du Centre-Est de l’Ontario (French catholic board) – The CECLFCE is Ontario’s largest French language school system, with 38 elementary schools, 8 high schools, 17,000 pupils from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12 and some 2,000 teachers and professionals tending the school community’s needs. It covers an area of 35,615 sq. kms, including the City of Ottawa.
- Here’s aÂ list of Ottawa schools offering full-day Kindergarten in 2010-2011 across all school boards.
- Ottawa Student Transportation Authority (OSTA) -Â The OSTA looks after school bus transportation for the major school baords in Ottawa. This is the place to look for the latest on school bus cancellations due to bad weather.
- Ashbury College – Ashbury College engages students in a dynamic learning environment and inspires them to become intellectually vibrant, compassionate and responsible citizens. An independent day and boarding school in Ottawa, Canada, Ashbury College educates boys in grades 4 to 8 and young men and women in grades 9 to 12.
- Ottawa Montessori School -Â The Ottawa Montessori School-Ă‰cole Montessori d’Ottawa (OMS/Ă‰MO) provides a stimulating educational environment for approximately 400 children aged 3 to 12 plus a new toddler program. We offer a full academic program in both English and French
- Counterpoint Academy – Private elementary school dedicated to providing a challenging academic environment balanced with real life experiences for boys and girls from Pre-School and Junior Kindergarten through Grade 6.
Working in Canada